Tuesday, September 25, 2012

How to Have a Successful Business in Asia: Network and Communication


We wrap up our career networking series with a podcast on how to get it right. In conversation is Kevin Kane, Director at Lux Research Korea, and Candice Lever, a PR professional at AustCham Beijing. We explore the challenges of cross-cultural communication when doing business, explore ways to better enjoy networking events in cities like Seoul and Beijing, and the kind of skills needed to make your career a success in Asia.
(Editor’s Note: The audio component of this podcast is provided via a link at the end of this transcript.)
AsianTalks: When it comes to career networking in Asia, or paving a niche for yourself, how do you balance going at it alone, versus joining a group? Is striking the right balance more challenging than it sounds?
Kevin: I think it depends on your personality. But for anyone who moves to Asia, I’m going to assume they have the type of personality that was somewhat independent to begin with. The comfort level of being independent and moving from group to group depends on their personality. For me I prefer that.
But there are a lot of overlaps, in my case I have Korean friends who have never left Korea but are perfectly comfortable networking with foreigners.
Candice: I would echo what Kevin has said, that it’s really dependent upon your personality. Because you get all types of people who move to Asia for all kinds of reasons. I would definitely say it is a balancing act. You’re sort of striving for independence, and really blazing a path, but at the same time networks are incredibly important here.
I would say it’s a healthy dose of making your own connections but also not being afraid of using sources around to help you. Networking isn’t the same here as back home. It’s very much of the culture here to use your connections, to be part of a group that can help you succeed, whereas you might not be able to independently.
AsianTalks: Are there more career opportunities in Asia than elsewhere?
Candice: I’d say there are a lot of variables involved. In Melbourne, where I grew up, my brother struggled for a few months after university, and that’s just on the east coast that’s Melbourne. But if you go to the west coast of Australia the mining boom is beckoning people to come over, to get into that industry.
As for coming to Beijing, in my case, there is this kind of idea, a burning optimism that China is on the rise, and there really are so many opportunities. You can see there’s more Chinese graduates from top-tier universities to study abroad, they’re actually coming back to China more than before, because China is on the rise with jobs and opportunities.
As a foreigner, I was not brought over by a company for a specific project. I came over to try to find work. Because my Chinese was basically non-existent I actually struggled a bit to find a job. But I don’t think you can ever be poor in China. There is always an English class to teach somewhere. There are always opportunities to make money.
Kevin: In Korea there are more career opportunities for a certain kind of personality. At the same time it could be a complete disaster, and absolutely more difficult for another type of personality.
The type of personality to succeed is calm, patient, reserved, yet ambitious, and a very good listener. It’s how I would describe my friends who have succeeded here. And if I didn’t adopt those tendencies, I would have had to return a long time ago.
AsianTalks: Let’s say I go to a networking event where I don’t know anyone. What is your advice for breaking into a conversation in an unfamiliar situation? Any stories you’d like to share?
Kevin: I’m very social, and there’s no shortage of other expats you will meet here. I don’t think it’s really an issue. You’ll find a way around.
If you are here alone I would start with the Internet. Look up chambers of commerce, look up LinkedIn groups.
Someone reached out to me last night, asking me about my experience here at school, and I checked whether we had mutual friends. I think they were just beginning that journey of looking for organizations.
But really they could accomplish a whole lot just by googling ‘Korea’ and ‘social networking.’ Soon someone will direct you in the right path.
Candice: I work at the Australia Chamber of Commerce, and we run a monthly networking event. We also partake in all-chamber networking events where all 15 chambers get together.
So I’ve had a chance to observe what goes on there, and be part of myself a year and a half ago, when I first arrived.
When it comes to new networking events, I would say not to take them too seriously. Yes, it’s a networking event. You’re there to make business connections but at the end of the day everybody’s there for the same reason: to meet new people, socially, professionally. And if you take the pressure out of the social situation, and just go up to chat with someone, just remember you are all in the same boat. It really takes away the tension.
By: Elizabeth Shim
                                                                    For Other Interesting  Interviews Click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment